Thursday, June 25, 2009

On ambitions

Hi again. Let's see what I can start with... how'bout a little background history?

According to what my birth certificate says, I was born on October 27th of the year 1992. I was named after my two grandfathers, Luis Whitaker and Ramon de Leon. My name isn't original at all, I kinda wish I got a more grandiose or sexy name, but hell, you're just my damn notebook right now and not a legendary artist so I guess we're just even tonight.

As a really young kid, I could already retain memories pretty well, so I still know most things that happened back on the day I took my first steps. I still remember how I was left in an elevator when my parents separated—it wasn't pretty.

Two years after forming kiddie dreams such as becoming a dinosaur when I turn 23, I wanted to become a carpenter and an astronaut, maybe both. I thought carpenters weren't paid for a lot and becoming an astronaut was too unachievable a dream as only really smart kids can wear those suits to space. Then, 'cause my mom was a nurse once, came my discovery of a stethoscope lying in one of those little toolboxes mom used to have. I then wanted to be a doctor. Yup, I knew how to spell 'stethoscope' before I could spell 'ball'.

Then came coloring books. Those were awesome, I spent lots of time coloring pages with turtles and frogs. I liked frogs and turtles a lot. I wanted my house in the future to be painted in this turtle-y green shade with some accents of white. So upon realizing that I enjoyed making my little masterpieces, I asked mom if I colored them pages nicely and if my drawings are pretty OK. All she said was “continue doing that, you're doing a good job” or something like that. That day, I told her that I'm gonna be a painter when I grow up.

I guess I caught your interest already, Rembrandt. This kid wanted to be a painter! Hell yeah. I took those little summer lessons with watercolor and pastel stuff handed to us by our teachers. For our first assignment, we had to paint a realistic bowl of fruits. I remember spending too much time on coloring those grapes and trying to give them value by painting them over with white. I got scolded for doing so.

I'm guessing this is long enough for an entry here in your pages. 'Til next time!

Ramon

No comments:

Post a Comment